[Open-education] The "Open Educators Factory" reaches 1000 users!

FABIO NASCIMBENI fabio.nascimbeni at unir.net
Thu Jan 23 14:46:12 UTC 2020

Dear colleagues,

I am writing to share the exciting news that the Open Educators Factory<https://rd.unir.net/pub/oef/login.php> platform has just reached 1000 users, so I am taking the chance to send you some information about the tool, to explore your interest of using it within your university.

Open Educators Factory is a self-assessment and capacity building web-tool targeted to university educators, aiming at increasing their capacities in using Open Education approaches, in terms not only of OER but also of open course design, open teaching strategies and open assessment. We have successfully piloted the tool with around 200 users at the Politecnico di Torino in Italy (see a paper<https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01587919.2018.1520040?journalCode=cdie20> about this)

This is how the platform works. Professors register and fill a very short (9 questions / 5 minutes) questionnaire on their actual knowledge and capacity to use open approaches, and they receive an immediate feedback showing their level of fluency with respect to open design, open content, open teaching and open assessment, together with some tailored recommendations on things to read, videos to watch, courses to take (that he can download in pdf for future use).

Additionally, the university/department manager can see (through a special login) how all the staff of his/her university/department perform with respect to the different openness dimensions. This can be useful to use internal expert staff to build capacity of less-expert colleagues for example.

The whole thing is free of charge and part of an open research project. Our interest is to get as many educators as possible to use the tool, so that we can get (anonymous) data on which to run our research. And we can do this research together, in case you manage to get enough educators to use the tool.

Feel free to contact me in case you want to use the tool in your university.

All the best

Fabio Nascimbeni
Assistant Professor of eLearning Innovation
Director of the Telefonica Chair on Digital Society and Education
Research Institute for Innovation & Technology in Education (UNIR iTED)
Universidad Internacional de La Rioja
T: (+34) 91 567 43 91
fabio.nascimbeni at unir.net<mailto:fabio.nascimbeni at unir.net>