[open-geodata] "Why geodata shouldn't be a ghetto" blogpost - feedback apprec

Lance McKee lmckee at opengeospatial.org
Tue Jun 15 13:23:25 UTC 2010

Muki Hakley wrote re the claim that ""80-90% of all organizational
data is geographic": "So for about 20 years, the GIS community has
been using a powerful assertion which is actually based on a brochure
and not on a rigorous analysis of evidence. Maybe, as John Fagan
suggested, it wasn’t a good idea to look too closely!"

I wish I had proof of something I've written numerous times, but an
interested person could do a study of organizational databases, and I
think the assertion would hold true. Just remember that every street
address field in a data record makes the record geospatial. Almost
every credit card transaction has location attached to it. Every phone
call has two locations recorded, and the same is true of most
commercial transactions involving atoms, and almost as many
transactions involving bits. Every issue in a state or municipality is
an issue in a geographic (we say "geospatial" because location needn't
be represented graphically) location, and that matters. The fourth
dimension - time - also matters very much in many situations, and time
is often attached to geospatial records.

An interested person could also do a study of scientific data to
discover the degree to which each is dependent on geospatial data. I'd
love to see the results!

There are many ways of representing geospatial data, many different
naming schemas for geospatial features and phenomena, many different
spatial reference systems, many different kinds of geoprocessing that
help extract information from such data. The OGC's open standards have
helped liberate geospatial data from the stovepiped "GIS" and helped
submerge some of the complexities.  It's all quite exciting, and it
matters very much as we learn how to have a good relationship with our
planet and its many beings, each of whom has a specific location at
any specific time.

Lance McKee
Senior Staff Writer
Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC)
508-752-0108
lmckee at opengeospatial.org

The OGC: International Location Standards
http://www.opengeospatial.org