[open-geodata] geocoding services

Jo Walsh jo.walsh at ed.ac.uk
Mon Feb 27 10:11:33 UTC 2012

Hello everyone!

On 24/02/12 09:49, Maurizio Napolitano wrote:
>> Also what about geonames?
>> (http://www.geonames.org/export/reverse-geocoding.html - see also
>> http://thedatahub.org/dataset/geonames)
>
> You can use also nominatim (but it's like use MapQuest)
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim

http://unlock.edina.ac.uk/places/sources/ - here, we multiplex together
geonames with OS Open Data for UK and Natural Earth for global vectors
at 1:1M - the latter is 'labour of love cartography' which I *imagine*
has its roots in VMap0. We just eat the shapes. Yummy. Unlock is a
free/open *service* but not free software. Yet?

I'll kick myself if i mention OpenGeocoder.
I'll kick myself if i don't mention OpenGeocoder.
There, now I've mentioned OpenGeocoder.

http://www.opengeocoder.net/unmatched

I've got a bot in my pocket and it is *not pleased* to see you

--
Jo Walsh

Unlock places - http://unlock.edina.ac.uk/
phone: +44 (0)131 650 2973
skype: metazool

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.