[open-geodata] 8 million OpenStreetMap POIs available through a query API

Julius Chrobak julius at mingle.io
Fri May 10 06:50:55 UTC 2013

hi all, I already wrote a message to you guys in Feb this year about our new service based on Open Data. We have come a long way since then and we're trying to look at the most interesting geo data sets out there to make them available through our flexible query API (https://mingle.io/api).

We've already extracted almost 8 million POIs from the OpenStreetMap into a straightforward tabular structure for fast lookups (~200ms with regular expressions and distance calculation, see example). Right now we are looking to extract other information from OSM (possibly a complete list of addresses together with a string fuzzy match functionality) or even provide the whole OSM data with this query functionality.

I'd be happy to hear your feedback or if you know about an interesting large Geo Open Dataset I'd be happy to take a look at it an import it to our service so developers can write arbitrary queries and now only use the predefined API access paths.

Cheers,
Julius Chrobak