[open-heritage] Theatricalia

ianibbo at gmail.com ianibbo at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 12:23:09 UTC 2010

Hey All.. this is really interesting. A couple of years ago I was
involved in a JISC project called national performance database (NPDB)
that collated data from lots of sources like the RSC and UK Theatre
Web. I think at the time we had about 90000 works, 770000 listings,
124000 productions and 120000 people along with 2942 venues. We tried
incredibly hard to take the project forward and open up the data at
the end of the demonstrator phase, but we couldn't sort out the
licensing. That was 2 years ago, and things have moved on a lot since
then. I wonder if it's worth reapproaching some of the data providers
to see if they would consent to gifting the data to this project.
We've still got it all in a machine readable format, so techincally
there shouldn't be an issue.

Also, it's probably well worth getting in touch with the guys at UK
Theatre Web. Their business model is based on current productions, but
they have an amazing archive. I wonder if they could be persuaded to
automatically inject records into this database at the end of a
production run?

I'd be really interested in taking some of this data and merging it
with the National Performance Database to see how the shape of the
data might change. Anyone know what the provenance of the data in
theatricalia already is? I presume it's bootstrapped from some
external source?

Cheers
Ian.