[open-heritage] Cooper-Hewitt News

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 21:05:42 UTC 2012

Hi everyone,

A few months back the Cooper-Hewitt, National Design Museum[1] released
collection metadata CC ZERO. I mentioned this briefly at our OKFN
meeting (and my frustration with how in Wikipedia world we don't know
what to do with it, hence the metadata usage case studies needed!).
Well, now, they've done even more.

1) They have released additional persondata and more on Github, that is
CC ZERO: https://github.com/cooperhewitt

2) CH is currently redesigning their collections database, it's in alpha
right now: http://labs.cooperhewitt.org/2012/online-collection-alpha/

3) In lieu of this, they have started linking to Wikipedia pages about
their content AND porting content in from Wikipedia about the subject.
About every week they'll run a bot which will update the Wikipedia
article content - thus allowing improvements to the pages to be displayed.
     You can see this in the box on the right, and if you scroll down:
http://collection.cooperhewitt.org/people/18043523/

As far as I know, this is the first Smithsonian to do this type of
project. I am *so* pleased, and it's a really nice thing to see coming
out of our recent meetings last week. Share and find inspiration! And
also blog about it too :) (Lori and I are drafting a blog for the us
GLAM blog right now)

-Sarah

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper-Hewitt,_National_Design_Museum

--