[OpenGLAM] Did Gale Cengage just liberate all of their public domain content?

Joris Pekel joris.pekel at okfn.org
Thu Jan 10 10:04:19 UTC 2013

Dear all,

For those who have not seen it, there was a very interesting discussion
yesterday on the OKFN Public Domain list [1]. Gale, one of the biggest
gatekeepers of public domain content, announced that they would release
 all of their content. Quickly, people were suspicious as it sounded 'to
good to be true'. We quickly got an official answer from Gale that it is
indeed (sadly) not the case and that they tried to get the public domain
page offline.

Jonathan has written a blogpost about this great hoax which I can really
recommend reading.

http://blog.okfn.org/2013/01/09/did-gale-cengage-just-liberate-all-of-their-public-domain-content-sadly-not/

All the best,

--