[OpenGLAM] [GLAM] Contemporary artists using open licenses

Iolanda Pensa iolanda at pensa.it
Thu Jan 10 06:29:13 UTC 2013

dear Joris
you can find artworks in cc by-sa also here http://www.atwork27.org. we are currently uploading them on wikimedia commons.
below some info about the project
all the best
iolanda

--
In 2008 lettera27 Foundation stated asking artists to provide artworks in cc by-sa to contribute to Wikipedia and WikiAfrica. the initiative was also presented at the Dakar Bienniale in Senegal by Kër Thiossane in the same year.
In 2009 we included this approach to the collection of lettera27. lettera27 has a collection of moleskine notebooks artists and writers produce and donate to the foundation to support its activity. the project is promoted and implemented by Moleskine and it's called Detour. so, starting in 2009 we contributed directly to Detour by asking artists not only to donate a notebook but to donate it in cc by-sa to contribute to Wikipedia (we have all the relevant contracts). we are currently starting to upload the images on Wikimedia Commons.
I directed the project since the beginning and in 2012 it become independent with the name Atwork and it is curated by Katia Anguelova. you find all the works in cc by-sa here http://www.atwork27.org (the website from my point of view is not appropriate, difficult to browse and not well-acccessible; they are fixing it).
in the collection in cc by-sa there are also very famous artists such as Pascale Marthine Tayou.
also related to art and cc, there have been a very interesting discussion about the commons during the last Dakar Biennale in 2012 within the Afropixel festival with very important scholars, artists and authors such as Achille Mbembe (ref. debats http://www.ker-thiossane.org/spip.php?article70).