[OpenGLAM] QUESTION: Museums and Broadband ­ a question from the American Alliance of Museums

Sarraf, Suzanne S-SARRAF at NGA.GOV
Fri Apr 11 19:56:44 UTC 2014

Posting on behalf of a colleague

Museums and Broadband – a question from AAM
The Institute of Museum and Library Services (IMLS) will be holding a public hearing on Thursday, April 17 to explore the issue of high-speed broadband in America’s libraries.  The hearing, “Libraries and Broadband: Urgency and Impact,” will take place in Washington, DC and will include the Federal Communications Commission Chairman Thomas Wheeler and others from the library, technology, and public policy fields.

The American Alliance of Museums would like to know our views on whether museums should be part of this conversation and, if so, what questions and/or recommendations we may want to share on this issue.  For example, do museums need to be able to host high volume data or data-heavy applications for its interactive exhibits?  Do museums need to provide wireless access for the public to conduct certain research?  Are museums able to access the broadband they need, or do they seek governmental support for this activity?  I’m sure there are other (perhaps better) questions that can be asked, but these are just a start.

Please contact Gail Silberglied, AAM’s VP of Government Relations and Advocacy, with your thoughts on this matter.  She can be reached at gsilberglied at aam-us.org<mailto:gsilberglied at aam-us.org> or 202-218-7705.  Thank you for your assistance.