[OpenGLAM] So you want to reuse digital heritage content in a creative context? Good luck with that

Sarah Stierch sarah.stierch at gmail.com
Thu Oct 16 14:45:19 UTC 2014

All good points, and thanks Maarten, so much quiet on these mailing lists
these days....and so much happening in the world.

I have a question more than a comment for the list:

*Is there a makers guide on using these materials?* A stylish and easy to
understand (i.e. no heavy "industry talk" that people outside of our deep
involvement would understand) and easily translatable into other
languages/places (i.e. I could use it in the USA and it would meet
international policy guidelines, not just an EU document).

The document would discuss matters you have mentioned, and she has
mentioned, and whatever else is deemed important by the community for
makers to "know" about. When I was working for OKF doing OpenGLAM US work,
the OpenGLAM team (me and the EU) were working on some tools for artists in
regards to opening up their artistic data. I'm not sure what came of it,
but, this would be something similar...

How to make in the public domain, or making out with open culture...or
something :)

Imagine if we were able to partner with Maker Media and/or Etsy to do
something like this. It could be promoted via these organizations and even
incorporated into art school curriculum. (They have classes on how to sell
and promote your work, why not this).

I even think this would be an interesting subject to present on at
conferences. Everyone seems to love to talk about the successes we've had
in our work, but, frankly, to present about these challenges leads to
solving the problems and makes more successes.

-Sarah

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 12:56 AM, Maarten Brinkerink <
mbrinkerink at beeldengeluid.nl> wrote:

> I’ve seen it being circulated and discussed all over the place and can
> really relate to the issues being put forth by Melissa. To me it reinforces
> the feeling that there still is a huge gap between institutions and
> ‚makers’ that needs to be bridged, before we can actually realize the
> mythical ‚creative reuse’ potential (although I do also strongly believe
> this potential exists). There are various aspects/issues attached to this
> in my view:
>
> 1. FUD at institutions, not going all the way - within their limits - in
> releasing their highest quality objects under minimal restrictions (or
> none, if PD)
> 2. Makers not understanding the limitations institutions have (copyright,
> funding, knowledge, etc)
> 3. Makers being protective of their own works
> 4. Institutions not understanding or respecting the requirements of makers
> that enable them to actually creatively reuse their collections (source
> files, useful retrieval methods, etc.)
> 5. Policy makers focussing on direct economic effects in the ‚creative
> industries’ rather than effects on society
>
> Looking forward to the perspective of others on the list!
>
> Best,
>
> Maarten
>
> Op 16 okt. 2014, om 03:30 heeft Sarah Stierch <sarah.stierch at gmail.com>
> het volgende geschreven:
>
> And my apologies, that should be Melissa Terras.
>
> It's the end of the workday here for me and my brain is melting from grant
> writing and meetings.....my sincere apologies to Ms. Terras!
>
> -Sarah
>
> On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 6:28 PM, Sarah Stierch <sarah.stierch at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> This was written a few days ago...though it might be of interest to some
>> of you - Melissa Ternes from the London School of Economics discusses
>> digital heritage reuse and the challenges...
>>

>> http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/impactofsocialsciences/2014/10/10/reuse-digital-heritage-content-in-a-creative-context/
>>

>> --
>>
>> Sarah Stierch
>>
>> -----
>>
>> Diverse and engaging consulting for your organization.
>>
>> www.sarahstierch.com
>>

> --
>
> Sarah Stierch
>
> -----
>
> Diverse and engaging consulting for your organization.
>
> www.sarahstierch.com

Sarah Stierch

-----