[OpenGLAM] Art from Faras on Wikipedia and Wikimedia Commons - invitation to collaborate

Marta Malina Moraczewska marta.malina at gmail.com
Thu Apr 21 18:33:09 UTC 2016

Hi All!

The National Museum in Warsaw is currently beginning a new project with its
Wikipedian-in-Residence, centered around the Faras Gallery, the
archaeological discoveries at Faras, Nubian culture and related themes:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiprojekt:GLAM/Muzeum_Narodowe_w_Warszawie/Faras/English

(Main Commons category for the NMW with artworks from across its
collections can be found here:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Media_contributed_by_the_National_Museum_in_Warsaw
)

Over the next 5 months, a group of volunteer Wikipedians and new volunteer
editors (most of whom study or work in archaeology, art history and related
fields) will work on a set of articles; the Museum, and the Polish Academy
of Sciences (PAN) are in the process of uploading the Faras images to
Commons (images of artwork/documentation photos of the excavations/other
related images) - to illustrate the articles. Meanwhile, the volunteers
have already put together an impressive bibliography for the new articles,
largely in English.

We would like to invite volunteers from your communities to participate in
this project! We are looking for interested Wikipedians to help verify,
translate or contribute to articles in other languages, as well as make
suggestions regarding the selection of articles. The initial list of
articles to expand or create can be found here:
https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiprojekt:GLAM/Muzeum_Narodowe_w_Warszawie/Faras/English#Initial_list_of_articles_to_be_written_or_expanded

The Faras image categories:
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Polish_excavations_at_Faras
(the initial batch, some images to be replaced by higher-res versions);
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Faras_Gallery_of_the_National_Museum_in_Warsaw

We will also be contacting the National Museum in Khartoum, where "the
other half" of artworks found at Faras are located.

Anyone interested is invited to participate! Please also forward to any
potentially interested existing GLAM contacts. All questions are welcome
:-)

Thanks!

Marta