[open-government] Definition of machine readability?

Helen Darbishire helen at access-info.org
Thu Jul 22 11:21:27 UTC 2010

Hi All

This is the working definition that we have right now. Comments welcome:

Information which is "machine readable" broadly means that it can be
processed by a computer (or other automatic device or machine in the case of
older, non-digital formats such as punch cards).  For the open government
data community the term "machine readable" is a narrower definition which
refers to electronic formats which allow the data they contain to be
automatically processed, and transferred from one software programme to
another.

An example would be ensuring that budget data is released in a format which
can be imported into a database for accounting analysis. Releasing such
information in, for example, PDF format would not permit this.

Helen
Helen Darbishire, Executive Director
Access Info Europe, www.access-info.org
mobile tel: + 34 667 685 319