[open-government] 1. It's not Open Data, so stop calling it that...

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at gmail.com
Wed Jul 28 16:15:52 UTC 2010

Rufus et. al;

The Cities in their reports to support their council motions or their
"open data" strategies refer to http://resource.org/8_principles.html.
 That is what the City of Ottawa included and council voted on
accepting those principles.  That gave me context to point out that
their ToU was not necessarily in accordance with those principles and
this gave them the wiggle room to consider adjusting and considering
the work that is forthcoming from CIPPIC.

Making your work more obvious would most certainly be helpful.  Also,
one of the products from CIPPIC may be an FAQ on ToUs and may also be
an annotated terms of use, with clauses, explanations as to why those
are important, and some tangible examples.  The details of the output
and their nature are not yet finalized, but those are items that have
come up in the wish list.

A knowledge barrier for cities and citizens in general, is
understanding all this stuff and the implications of it all.
Legaleeeze is killing us.  Your work and hopefully our small
contribution here in this big sized under populated country, and even
smaller, in Ottawa, is to demystify that a little.

Any knowledge you can make more obvious and accessible (linguistically
and context wise) and available, just make what we do all the more
easier.

Cheers

--
Tracey P. Lauriault