[open-government] 1. It's not Open Data, so stop calling it that...

Javier de la Cueva jdelacueva at derecho-internet.org
Thu Jul 29 10:40:07 UTC 2010

El 29/07/10 11:19, Rufus Pollock escribió:
[...]

> Any suggestions for making things more obvious would be very useful.
> Do you think having a dedicated gov page on http://opendefinition.org/
> would be useful?

I think that present works are always focused in government affairs, but
that makes the legal domain uncomplete. The Judiciary and the
legislative should be taken into account.

>> A knowledge barrier for cities and citizens in general, is
>> understanding all this stuff and the implications of it all.
>> Legaleeeze is killing us.  Your work and hopefully our small
>> contribution here in this big sized under populated country, and even
>> smaller, in Ottawa, is to demystify that a little.
>
> Exactly, it's crucial we don't get caught up in legalese -- that's
> things are kept simple and focused on the basic principles.

I totally agree. I find two corner stones: conceptual simplicity and
public participation. That must be translated into no legalese, web
accesibility and data visualization.

>> Any knowledge you can make more obvious and accessible (linguistically
>> and context wise) and available, just make what we do all the more
>> easier.
>
> One obvious thing is to prepare a brief open data guide that could be
> translated into several languages. We've been thinking or organizing a
> book sprint on this topic -- would you, and others, be interested in
> doing something like this?

Count on me for that. But I wonder if a book is the best format.

--
Best regards,
Javier de la Cueva