[open-government] Introductions

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Thu May 27 10:57:44 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I thought I should introduce myself to the list, having recently joined the
working group project.

I'm currently based at the Oxford Internet Institute (until August) where
I'm working on a masters dissertation focussing on the uses of open
government data (specifically focussing on data.gov.uk) which is being
blogged here: http://www.practicalparticipation.co.uk/odi/

The rest of the time I run a small consultancy (Practical Participation)
focussing on work around social technology and participation in government -
with a specific focus on young people's participation. Quite a lot of that
work is with frontline local government practitioners so I tend to have a
focus on the interface between technology projects and frontline practice -
looking at, for example, how service providers can improve both their use of
data and information, and their collection of good quality data and
information. I also spend quite a lot of time looking at proactive and
positive responses to child-safety concerns relating to online information
and data.

I'm particularly interested in the user end of open government data, and
looking at development of resources and guidance to support non-technical
users to understand and engage with government data.

Looking forward to future discussions and work in this group.

All best wishes

Tim Davies
http://www.timdavies.org.uk
+44 (0)7834 856 303 | @timdavies