[open-government] Economic Benefits of Open-Data

Javier Ruiz Diaz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Tue Nov 2 13:11:46 UTC 2010

you can also see his views on PSI

The principles include:

"Green Light" for On-Line and Informational Government Activity
•	Principle 1: Providing public data and information is a proper governmental role.
•	Principle 2: Improving the efficiency with which governmental services are provided is a
proper governmental role.
  •	Principle 3: The support of basic research is a proper governmental role.

"Yellow Light" for On-Line and Informational Government Activity
•	Principle 4: The government should exercise caution in adding specialized value to public data and information.
•	Principle 5: The government should only provide private goods, even if private-sector firms are not providing them, under limited circumstances.
•	Principle 6: The government should only provide a service on-line if private provision with regulation or appropriate taxation would not be more efficient.
• Principle 7: The government should ensure that mechanisms exist to protect privacy, security, and consumer protection on-line.
• Principle 8: The government should promote network externalities only with great deliberation and care.
•	Principle 9: The government should be allowed to maintain proprietary information or exercise rights under patents and/or copyrights only under special conditions (including national security).

"Red Light" for On-Line and Informational Government Activity
•	Principle 10: The government should exercise substantial caution in entering markets in which private-sector firms are active.
• Principle 11: The government (including governmental corporations) should generally not aim to maximize net revenues or take actions that would reduce competition.
•	Principle 12: The government should only be allowed to provide goods or services for which appropriate privacy and conflict-of-interest protections have been erected.

http://archive.epinet.org/real_media/010111/materials/stiglitz.pdf