[open-government] Windsor Ontario has an open data catalogue. Now what?

Mita Williams mita.williams at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 15:03:36 UTC 2010

In a wonderful bit of timing, the City of Windsor released released an
Open Data Catalogue: http://www.citywindsor.ca/003713.asp

Its a small set of largely spatial data : points and shape files but
its a start. Myself, Paul Synott and others are working on hosting an
Open Data Hackfest to celebrate and work on this data:
http://www.citizfaction.ca/index.php/latest/137-open-data-comes-to-windsor

At the moment, I'm working on possible ideas for projects for the day
and in doing so, I was looking for some guidance about the whole
matter of terms of use.  According to Richard Weait, an active
contributor to OpenStreetMap, the current language used in conjunction
Canadian Municipal data sets is too restrictive to allow for uploading
these points into OSM.
http://weait.com/content/unintended-restrictions

Is this considered a very strict reading of the current terms of use
agreements?

Actually, the real question behind the question is this: is ok for
someone like myself to upload the data catalogue of the City of
Windsor into such sites as http://geocommons.com/ or elsewhere?

Mita Williams
http://www.aedileworks.com/