[open-government] Economic benefits of open data

Romain Lacombe romain.lacombe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 23:16:01 UTC 2010

Hi all,

This is my translation (native French speaker). Would you happen to have
sources for these claims? I'm preparing a report on strategies to support
innovation through open data, and would be very interested in using these
figures.

- Data opening by the Danish government (costs: EUR 14 million, benefits:
EUR 62 million)

- Information sharing between the municipalities of Catalunya [Spanish
province] (cost: EUR 21.5 million, benefits: EUR 14 million)

- US meteorological data supports a USD 1.5+ billion industry

- Application contests based on open data: Washington, D.C. (cost: USD 50k,
benefits: USD 2 million)

- Transparency portal in California (cost: USD 61k, benefits: USD 20
million) and Texas (benefits: USD 5 million)

- Access to geospatial information in England and Wales has increased GDP by
nearly GBP 320 million in 2008-09.

- Three companies which allow US citizens to compare different government
retirement plans based on the data.gov portal have earned respectively USD
100k, USD 3 million and USD 10 million revenues.

- Talent development in Montreal: large companies in California have leapt
ahead and are accumulating experience, talent and technologies. The longer
competitors wait, the hard it will be for them to catch up.

Hope this helps -- let me know if you have sources to back this up.

Cheers,

Romain

2010/10/28 Dwight Hines <dwight.hines at gmail.com>

> This is the google translation of the French questions posted earlier.  If
> anyone has a cleaner or more accurate translation, please let me know.
> Dwight Hines
> IndyMedia
> Maine, USA
>
> ===============================
>
> French to English translation
>

> The opening of the data? Are the Danish government (cost: 14 million
>
>   b? n? profits 62 million (euros))
>

>   ? Sharing of information between municipal? S of Catalonia
>
>   (Cost: 21.5 million b? N? Profits: 14 million (euros))
>

>   ? The data? M es t? Orologi am? Rican supports an industry
>
>   more than 1.5 billion.
>

>   ? Contest applications that use data?'re Open?
>
>   Washington DC (cost: $ 50 000, b? N? Profits: 2,000,000 (U.S. $))
>

>   ? Website on Transparency in California (cost: 61 000
>
>   b? n? profits: 20 million) and Texas (b? n? profits: 5000000). (U.S.
> dollars)
>

>   ? The access? S information g? Ospatial in England and Wales
>
>   Wales has increased? GDP of almost 320 million pounds Sterling in
>
>   2008-2009.
>

>   - Businesses which allows citizens am? Ricans compare the diff? Ent
>
>   gr government retirement programs? this portal data.gov -
>
>   back 100k - 3 million and 10 million.
>

>   Development of talent? Montr? Al. Large companies in the
>
>   California took the advance and accumulates exp? Experiences, talent and
>
>   technology. The longer one waits the more difficult will be ca
>
>   of ratraper.

Romain Lacombe
+33650161437
+16506464745