[open-government] Fwd: [ORG-law] UK foia reach on private government subcontractors

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Tue Nov 16 14:05:12 UTC 2010

-Response form our legal working group about UK:

The FOI doesn't have a functional definition of a public authority.
Public authorities are those defined as such in the act or subordinate
legislation. There are many anomalies - for example a wholly owned
subsidiary of a public authority is also subject to the act (by
section 6) but a subsidiary of more than one public authority is not
(so many local government consortia fall outside).

Information held "on behalf of" a public body is also subject to the
act, which does extend the reach somewhat, but that phrase has caused
a lot of argument.

There are some silly exceptions because of the way the act works, for
example the House of Commons Commission claims not to be a public
body:

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/crowned_portcullis_2#incoming-80758

The House of Commons itself ceases to exist when Parliament is
dissolved for a general election, so this produced some peculiar (and
frustrating) results at the last election.

I have certainly been pushing for changes and extensions here.
Something simple, such as any corporation with more public authority
members than not ought to be a public authority (to get in all those
local authority consortia etc). There are plenty more.

The team at What Do They Know (team at whatdotheyknow.com) might be very
helpful if you asked them nicely about it. I suspect its something My
Society in general is very interested in.

---------------

On 16 November 2010 11:53, Javier Ruiz <javier at openrightsgroup.org> wrote:
> Dear friends
> is there anything like this in UK FOIA ?
> The government has announced plans to amend FOIA towards "right to data",
it
> may be an opportunity to put forward other amendments to extend who is
> covered by it.
> best, Javier

Suffolk
> council in UK, which plan to outsource every single
> service http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11398678. Even the remaining info on
> contracting would likely be denied on commercial confidentiality grounds.
>

> The governments plans for data to be opened up so the public can directly
> assess the performance of local authorities only makes sense if it doesn't
> matter whether the council provides services directly or by contracting
> out. Whole swathes of data publishing will need to be set out in contracts
> as a required as part of the service delivery.
>

> --
>
> Tony Kennick
>
> Technophobia Limited.
>
> The Workstation
>
> 15 Paternoster Row
>
> SHEFFIELD
>
> England
>
> S1 2BX
>
> Phone: +44 (0)114 2212123  Fax: +44 (0)114 2212124
>
> Email: tony at technophobia.co.uk
>
> WWW: http://www.technophobia.com
>
> Twitter: @WeTechnoPhobia
>
> Registered in England and Wales Company No. 3063669
>
> VAT registration No. 598 7858 42
>
> ISO 9001:2000 Accredited Company No. 21227
>
> ISO 14001:2004 Accredited Company No. E997
>
> ISO 27001:2005 (BS7799) Accredited Company No. IS 508906
>
> Investor in People Certified No. 101507
>

> The contents of this email are confidential to the addressee and are
>
> intended solely for the recipients use. If you  are not the addressee, you
>
> have received this email in error. Any disclosure, copying, distribution
or

> action taken  in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful.
>

> Any opinions expressed in this email are those of the author personally
and

> not TechnoPhobia Limited who do not  accept responsibility for the
contents

> of the message.
>

> All email communications, in and out of TechnoPhobia, are recorded for
>
> monitoring purposes.

Francis Davey