[open-government] Jason Kitcat, copyright and closed government

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 20:16:09 UTC 2010

See
http://countculture.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/a-simple-demand-let-us-record-council-meetings/
Broad overview, and links to more coverage. I'm actually meeting with people
from Brighton in the next couple of weeks. Would be nice to think we could
resolve this one.
Chris Taggart

2010/11/1 Tim McNamara <paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz>

> 2010/11/2 Jim Killock <jim at openrightsgroup.org>
>
> Hi folks
>>
>> If you're concerned with abuse of copyright to keep government closed and
>> create censorship, please consider signing our letter defending Jason
>> Kitcat, a Brighton Councillor and Advisory member of ORG who posted Youtube
>> clips of council meetings taken from Brighton and Hove Council's website.
>> They are claiming that, as copyright materials, they are a 'resource' which
>> Councillors may not use for political purposes.
>>

> Hi Jim,
>
> Thanks for this. Are you able to provide any more details? Your link
> doesn't provide a full explanation of the facts. I would like to  see the
> context in which those videos were made. While videos seem prima facie as if
> they're reliable, selective editing and commentary can mask the truth.
>
> More broadly, I disagree with your statement that a council's enforcement
> of their copyright creates censorship. They're not censuring anyone, they're
> merely exercising their legal rights. As it stands, you've described a
> situation where someone has acted outside their mandate, downloaded content
> and then redistributed that content. That looks like theft. I'm sure
> Councillor Kitcat could have raised a motion at the council to have its
> officers post the content onto YouTube.
>
> Please provide a fuller explanation of the facts.
>
> Regards,
>
> Tim McNamara
> Masters candidate in Public Policy,
> Victoria University of Wellington

OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture