[open-government] "The Government of Catalonia's Open Data Project is already a reality"

Jacobo Elosua jet at ezaromedia.com
Sun Nov 14 12:35:33 UTC 2010

Hi Jonathan and all.

This is my first mail to the list. I am a member of Pro Bono Publico, the
NGO that has been most active in the OGD space in Spain to date.

The news about the Catalonian government OGD release are good, but they need
to be read in conjunction with a few sobering facts: Spain (with Luxembourg,
I believe) is the only EU country without 'Freedom of
Information-equivalent' legislation right now. We hope this reality will
change soon. There is a draft law in the making, although not particularly
advanced... (1). In addition to that, the data sets made available
proactively are still a million miles away from the desired level. On
governmental spending, to name one area, quality data availability is still
minimal.

A couple of us will be attending the Camp next Thursday and Friday. We are
looking forward to getting to know personally as many of you as possible. We
really want to establish good working partnerships to be able to contribute
as much as possible to the advancement of the OGD agenda from where we sit
geographically (2). We have a lot to learn from you guys.

Best regards.

NOTES:
(1) http://www.access-info.org/
(2) my colleague David Cabo sent an email on Friday to
wdmmg-discuss at lists.okfn.org detailing our (pretty much his) work in Spain
along the 'Where does my money go' lines. I am unclear about the different
lists and degrees of overlap. Let us know if it makes sense to forward it to
this list.