[open-government] Defining Open Government Data?

Uhlir, Paul PUhlir at nas.edu
Mon Nov 15 00:51:28 UTC 2010

Hi all,

There is a huge difference in US law between information produced by Federal entities in the scope of their employment and information produced under grant of contract for the Federal government (I am not addressing state or local law in the US). The Federal info is exempt from copyright protection under section 105 of the 1976 Copyright Act. Information commissioned by the US Federal government under contract or grant has a broad range of terms and conditions associated with such arrangements, with most of them left under the proprietary control of the non-government parties. There is a legitimate debate on whether this approach is the right one, but there would be lot of push back from the non-government parties if the default rule of flexibility would be changed.

I also want to address the FOIA debate raised earlier. As a general matter, FOIA is a mechanism of last resort to the citizen. It is not the primary approach for providing access, since the citizen needs to know the information is held by the government, then request the info, pay for the search, and can be denied in whole or in part. In some countries, the very act of requesting the info can be dangerous to the citizen. FOIA is thus an essential right, but a backup mechanism, not a panacea. E-government and other positive rights of dissemination and access are paramount. See http://portal.unesco.org/ci/en/ev.php-URL_ID=15862&URL_DO=DO_TOPIC&URL_SECTION=201.html

Regards,
Paul