[open-government] Economic benefits of open data

toby at law-democracy.org toby at law-democracy.org
Mon Nov 15 15:34:06 UTC 2010

Right to information activists, including myself, routinely make the
argument that proactive disclosure will reduce the burden of processing
requests for information, and in some countries (eg India), this is even
built into the law. However, I do not know of any proper study on this
relationship. Intuitively, outside of the routine release of very basic
information, I believe it is equally likely that more proactive disclosure
may actually stimulate more requests for information (through whetting
peoples' appetites for information).

It may be good advocacy, but I am not sure it is correct. Certainly it is
not correct to allocate all or even most of the costs of running a right
to information system against this, since costly items such as the
processing of appeals will hardly be affected (if you have to fight public
authorities in the context of a request, they are hardly going to disclose
the information proactively).

Toby