[open-government] France proposes police controls on who uses public information

Helen Darbishire helen at access-info.org
Wed Nov 24 09:33:44 UTC 2010

Hi All

Yes, we are preparing a letter to get sign ups for.

The back-story reportedly is that some large and influential French
businesses want to get access to certain databases which contain personal
data and this is a brilliant solution to grant those companies access while
limiting who else has access!

I note that this is part of a generally controversial law which also allows
for other measures such as increased CCTV surveillance and blocking internet
access for those who download illegally.

Best, Helen