[open-government] Defining Open Government Data?

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Tue Nov 30 07:45:02 UTC 2010

HI all,

I have written down some of my thoughts on why socially open I think needs
to be part somehow of an 'open data definition'. It's basically a write-up
of the short talk I gave with Bill Roberts on this at the OGD Camp in London
2 weeks ago. See
http://www.zylstra.org/blog/archives/2010/11/socially_open_g.html

My main point is basically in the last paragraph of that blog posting:
"By focusing, when defining what open data is, on just the technical and
legal aspects we overlook that the needed change of mindset concerning
opening government and its data up is only adressed by social aspects. If we
leave that out of how we define open data, and relegate it only to what
happens *after* the release of data that is already deemed 'open', and not
as part of how we *get to* labeling data as 'open', we are simply not
addressing the purpose of it all."

best,

Ton
Interdependent Thoughts