[open-government] New RTI Legislation Rating Methodology Launched - a great opportunity coming up!

Marc de Vries info at devriesmarc.nl
Sun Oct 3 15:45:37 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

First of all I fully agree with Paul: this is a truly interesting initiative
and as far as I know the first real attempt to create an integrated tool
that allows for measuring (practical applicability of) national access rules
(you may know that Chris Corbin did also extensive work on bench marking
countries, but that is much more policy oriented, see:
http://www.epsiplus.net/examples/scorecard). To me the set of indicators
seems pretty much complete, for the purpose the tool has been created for.
Obviously, one can always argue about the weight and value of certain
(clusters of) indicators, but that is beside the point now. So I think Helen
and her team deserves our full appreciation for the work done.

In fact, taking it one step further, I think it could form the basis and
core for a more elaborate tool also capturing the other elements that
determine the value of PSI. In that context, and connecting to Paul's
observations, which I think is very much linked to the accessibility of
(metadata on) PSI, I think the essence is that the tool looks at the (1)
regulatory framework on (2) access. In that sense it is limited, where it
leaves the use, in particular the commercial re-use of the PSI concerned,
untouched. So the determining factors of the value of the PSI, that kick in
*after* access has been granted and put into effect, are, to a large extent
at least, uncovered.

To me the determining factors are - next to (1) access (Helen) and (2)
accessibility (Paul) - (3) re-use limitations and (4) fair market
conditions. In other words, the ultimate (re-)use value is predestined by
access (am I allowed to see the PSI) and accessibility (can I find the PSI)
which jointly set the prerequisite for any PSI value. If both questions have
been answered positively, then the next two issues determine whether a
(re-)user can turn this PSI into something even more valuable. Factor 3 (the
re-use limitations) basically cover the exertion of copyrights and database
rights by the public sector content holder: it is possible that on the basis
of the legal monopolies (on the basis of copy right and data base right
laws) re-use is simply forbidden, meaning that the re-use value - so not the
access value! - is zero. Factor 4 (the fair market conditions, governed by
the PSI Directive and general competition rules) essentially determine
whether there is a sustainable business case for re-use. If the public
sector content holder allows re-use but adds value and exploits the PSI
itself, while at the same time charging higher prices (than its own internal
direct costs) to re-users, in the long term the re-user will not be able to
compete with this public sector market player. (Most of you have probably
seen my article diving into these four elements in much more detail. If not,
please have a look at:
http://www.epsiplus.net/news/news/making_one_s_way_through_the_legal_labyrin
th_surrounding_psi_re_use (and feel free to re-use it!))

So I guess what I am advocating is: how about extending this great tool so
that it can also take into account the economic side of the value of PSI.
Obviously, the measurement of these other two factors is quite challenging,
where it coerces us to move down to a meso (sectoral) or even micro level of
PSI re-use, instead of looking at the legal framework indicators (on access)
which, to a large extend are quite binary. However, there may a real good
opportunity quite soon. You probably heard that the DG INFOSOC of the EC is
doing quite a lot of work on economic indicators, inter alia quite recently
it launched a call for proposals to dig into the success factors of PSI
re-use. The winner of this study, soon to be decided I think, could actually
apply Helen's tool and see whether it could additionally take on board
indicators on the economic aspects, making good practices and effects
comparable across sectors and countries. It could serve as a great test
case!

All of you are cordially invited to respond!

Kind regards,

Marc de Vries

info at devriesmarc.nl

+31 653897002