[open-government] List of open government competitions

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Mon Oct 11 20:05:38 UTC 2010

Hallo Daniel

On 12 October 2010 03:40, Daniel Dietrich <daniel.dietrich at okfn.org> wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2010, at 7:34 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
> > I am compiling a list of competitions that support reuse of open
> government data[1]. Contributions are welcome.
>
> different people and initiatives started working on mapping OGD
> initiatives, catalogues, competitions, events.
>
> I think its pretty clear that there is a need for something like this. Lets
> try to join forces instead of to re-invent the wheel.
> So the question is: how can we cooperate and collaboratively updating a
> comprehensive list of:
>
>        • OGD initiatives (Worldwide)
>        • OGD Events (Worldwide > Calendar / Map)
>        • OGD competitions (Worldwide)
>        • OGD catalogues (Worldwide)

I think it's a great idea to make these data available in a single place.

My interests:

I am mostly interested in the raw data, so a spreadsheet works best for me.
Google Docs is certainly easier to edit and update than MediaWiki. I will
have time in December to contribute to a presentation layer (right now, I
must finish my thesis).

The New Zealand government is also sponsoring a competition,
http://www.mixandmash.org.nz/, and I was interesed in providing officials
some benchmarks on what level of prizes and participation to expect. I'm a
little concerned that officials have been told by open government advocates
here that there will be hundreds of wonderful applications submitted. To
make expectations on all sides more realistic, I thought I should see the
level of participation that others have.

Global site:

Perhaps we should take technical discussions off this list? Where is best?

>From a technical standpoint, I would prefer all the data to be in
Freebase.com and we can build a presentation layer with either with their
API or straight from their Acre platform. Acre is a tool, like the Google
App Engine, that enables people to create JavaScript applications for free.
I am a contributor to the Google Refine (previously Gridworks) project and
we could probably seek some support from Google for something like this. I
think that open data should in Freebase there unless there is a good reason
for it not to.

Freebase with Acre provides us with several advantages:

 - data we insert are linked with other things automatically
 - infrastructure is free and very secure
 - all data are stored as triples, meaning they link with external sources
easily
 - others can easily contribute to the code, as Acre applications are all
open source
 - no maintenance required

> Also we thought it would be cool to start thinking about start collecting
> other useful information around OGD like
>
>        • OGD use cases & success stories
>        • OGD most popular data
>        • OGD low hanging fruits (where to start? what data is easy to open)
>        • OGD best practice

This material will be very good to collect, Open New Zealand has tried to do
collect stories et cetera. We haven't done too well, people are too busy.

For prose, I think that we could use the CMS to collect material and use
http://www.booki.cc/ (or, we could use Scribus and do it ourselves) to
publish manuals & guides via Lulu.com. Then OKF would be able to publish
print versions of its material.

> I think that opengovernmentdata.org would be a good place for this kind of
> mapping
>
> the idea is to collaboratively collect the above mentioned information
> about ODG and to display in different formats (as single entries in a CMS,
> as a list, on a map, in a calendar, as rfd)
>
> requirements: open system that allows users to contribute and maintain
> their entries. we would propose to use drupal (out of the box, good user
> rights management, easy integration of map, cal
>
> I would love to start working on this at opengovernmentdata.org very soon.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Daniel

It's a great idea. I'm sorry that I can't help out with the development side
in the short term.

Regards,

Tim
@timClicks