[open-government] Defining Open Government Data?

Brian Gryth briangryth at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 18:50:18 UTC 2010

Tom,

You have stumbled upon the key problem with a definition.  It excludes by
its very definition.  As defined by an English dictionary, definition means
"an exact statement or description of the nature, scope, or meaning of
something." (Oxford version, not the American for you snobs across the
pond).  A definition is required to be exact or it starts to become
meaningless.

Here is my questions are we creating a definition or a framework?

All of the technical, legal, and social aspects seem to be operative.  As
such we should leave those ideas in the operative clauses of the technical,
legal, or social frameworks that create open government data.

A definition should only be used in order to eliminate confusion or to help
the reader understand what you are talking about.  (Or to #^$% another party
in a legal contract.)  If you can explain something without creating a
definition that is best.  (i.e. say it in plain English as we say in the
US.)

So if we go with a definition, as Jonathan, Ton, and Tom have started to
flush out, what are the essential elements?  (Not how it is implemented).

I think I see these:
- license free or least restrictive license (attribution).
- accessible (without unreasonable burden or undue hardship)
- machine-readable and in it rawest form
- owned or in the position of a public entity such as a government,
government contractor, or political subdivision.

Once we have the elements, then we can help poeple understand what the
implementation looks like.

Of course, those are my thoughts.  I could be wrong.

Cheers,
Brian