[open-government] Defining Open Government Data?

Nicolas Kayser-Bril nkb at owni.fr
Wed Oct 20 07:55:03 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'd just like to give my 2 cents to this thread which, although it is
extremely interesting, remains very UK and US-centered.

As Jonathan wrote, I work in "countries where open government data isn't on
the agenda at all". Having a definition would be great, but going into too
many specific details will scare off any enthusistic civil servant.

Considering the discussion I have with those, who usually want to do
something but have no idea how to proceed, I think the most important points
you guys addressed are license (as close to public domain as possible should
do it) and format. On this last point, I don't think that "machine-readable"
should be in the definition so much as "collaboration with requestors".

Very few public servants or decision-makers know which formats are
machine-readable and which are not. Now, if we - requestors - have access to
the list of formats the administration has, we can help them organize it in
a way that's machine readable.

To give you an example, the French law is made is such way that we cannot
request access to data in a certain format, even if we know they have it, if
the administration published it in the first place. That's how I spend days
scraping data from their SQL tables into my SQL tables :-)

Hope this helps!

Best wishes

nkb.
--