[open-government] Economic Benefits of Open-Data - PresentationIdeas for City of Montreal

innovation-navigator at chello.at innovation-navigator at chello.at
Sun Oct 31 14:22:49 UTC 2010

Dear colleagues,

at least in continental law the conflict of interests and pieces of legislations
is more difficult as you all believe. the report of Helen does not help in that regard
since she does not provide any methodological approach to solve those
permanent conflicts of interest.

Best,

Gerhard

Roy Peled <roypeled at gmail.com> schrieb:
> If I might add my thoughts -
>
> 1. this cuts costs of providing information. Instead of gov officials
> cutting out pieces of information needed for other agencies, the press or
> the public at large - everyone can just take what they need. While the
> burden of work moves to the requestor, this saves communication time and
> misunderstandings as to what is needed, hences makes the work more
> efficient.
>
> 2. Cuts costs of protecting data - all too often efforts are put into
> protecting data for no good reason. If we agree that much of the data should
> be put in the public domain, there is much less to protect.
>

> 2010/10/29 Toby Mendel <toby at law-democracy.org>
>
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > I have done more than 'spot' that report. I provided detailed input into
> > it. Helen Darbishire, of Access Info, and I have had some discussions about
> > how to extend a traditional right to information human rights analysis to OG
> > but there is still a lot of background work and thinking to be done.
> >
> > Toby
> >
> > On 29 Oct 2010, at 12:37, Daniel Dietrich wrote:
> >
> > Dear Toby,
> >

> > On 28.10.2010, at 11:58, Toby Mendel wrote:
> >
> > I have not worked much in the area of "open government" (I use quotes
> > because of course RTI is very much about open government too!) but I am
> > starting to get more involved in it. I believe that the RTI and OG movements
> > can learn a lot from each other. OG advocates can learn more about using
> > human rights to promote their issue, and RTI advocates can learn more about
> > some of the practical implications of openness, especially using modern
> > technologies.
> >

> > I absolutely agree. I am sure you have spotted this report:
> > http://access-info.org/es/open-government-data
> >

> > http://www.access-info.org/documents/documents/Beyond_Access_10_Aug_2010_consultationn.pdf
> >

> > Kind regards
> > Daniel
> >

> >      ___________________________________
> > *Toby Mendel*
> > *Executive Director*
> > * *
> > *Centre for Law and Democracy*
> > toby at law-democracy.org
> > Tel:  +1 902 431-3688
> > Fax: +1 902 431-3689
> > www.law-democracy.org

Impressum: Gerhard K. Wagner: Lektor, Konsulent

Researcher in Content- wie IKT-Projekten (EU, OECD, UNIDO, Europarat)
Innovationsberater betreffend high- wie low-tech Anwendungen
Publikationen: Content-Märkte, eLearning, eBusiness, eGovernment, PSI, FOI
EU Public Affairs; Informations- wie Zivilgesellschaft (Osteuropa, LAC)

Tel (7-21): +43-676-369.36.10, contentissimo at chello.at
1010 Wien (Schillerplatz) - Belgrad - Budapest
Skype wie oeffentlicher Schluessel (eSigG) auf Anfrage.