[open-government] collaborative tracking of OGD issues (was: no subject)

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Wed Sep 8 19:55:16 UTC 2010

On 16 August 2010 15:16, Daniel Dietrich <daniel.dietrich at okfn.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Am 16.08.2010 um 15:26 schrieb Jonathan Gray:
>
>> Excellent suggestion Brian (all: see below for context)!
>>
>> At the moment we track competitions and catalogues, but would also be
>> great to have a more general open data 'initiatives' list, including
>> info on whether central, regional local, etc.
>>
>> Daniel: might you be interested in starting this off on the basis of
>> the material we've already collected?
>
> This would definitely make sense and I am happy to work on this. I am not too happy with the solution of maintaining these lists as google spread sheets as they tend to get a bit messi once they get polluted with data.

Just to throw out a left-field idea: you could 'abuse' a ckan instance
to do this. Just record the intitiatives as special 'packages'.

>> Ultimately would be good to publish all this on opengovernmentdata.org
>> in some nice, open, easy-to-reuse form.
>
> Agree - so we are looking for a nice "display" solution and a easy to edit and open "edit" solution

CKAN would solve the edit stuff - it would easy to write a custom form.

>> Also would be good to
>> represent this info on a map! ;-)
>
> This would also definitely be a nice feature. I will dig into this and try to come up with an easy to implement solution. Recommendations welcome.

One could easily write a script to use the CKAN api to extract data
for display on a map.

Rufus

>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:31 PM, Brian Fitzgerald
>> <bf.fitzgerald at qut.edu.au> wrote:
>>> Jonathan
>>>
>>> Is anyone keeping a list of all the initiatives being mention in the Open
>>> Government list - especially from local government.
>>>
>>> If not we should start
>>>
>>> Regards
>>>

>>> Professor Brian Fitzgerald
>>> Professor of Intellectual Property and Innovation
>>> Law Faculty
>>> Queensland University of Technology
>>>
>>> http://www.law.qut.edu.au/staff/lsstaff/fitzgerald.jsp
>>> http://eprints.qut.edu.au/view/person/Fitzgerald,_Brian.html