[open-government] OData

Pranesh Prakash pranesh at cis-india.org
Thu Sep 16 15:27:53 UTC 2010

It's being licensed under the [Microsoft Open Specifications
Promise][1].  From their [FAQ][2]:
> Q. Will the Open Data Protocol (OData) be standardized?
>
> A: The Open Data Protocol specification is currently available under the Microsoft Open Specification Promise (OSP), allowing third parties, including open source projects, to build Data Services for any runtime as well as clients to consume such services.

 [1]: http://www.microsoft.com/interop/osp/default.mspx
	Microsoft Open Specification Promise
Published: September 12, 2006 | Updated: February 1, 2007

Microsoft irrevocably promises not to assert any Microsoft Necessary
Claims against you for making, using, selling, offering for sale,
importing or distributing any implementation to the extent it conforms
to a Covered Specification (“Covered Implementation”), subject to the
following. This is a personal promise directly from Microsoft to you,
and you acknowledge as a condition of benefiting from it that no
Microsoft rights are received from suppliers, distributors, or otherwise
in connection with this promise. If you file, maintain or voluntarily
participate in a patent infringement lawsuit against a Microsoft
implementation of such Covered Specification, then this personal promise
does not apply with respect to any Covered Implementation of the same
Covered Specification made or used by you. To clarify, “Microsoft
Necessary Claims” are those claims of Microsoft-owned or
Microsoft-controlled patents that are necessary to implement only the
required portions of the Covered Specification that are described in
detail and not merely referenced in such Specification. “Covered
Specifications” are listed below.

This promise is not an assurance either (i) that any of Microsoft’s
issued patent claims covers a Covered Implementation or are enforceable
or (ii) that a Covered Implementation would not infringe patents or
other intellectual property rights of any third party. No other rights
except those expressly stated in this promise shall be deemed granted,
waived or received by implication, exhaustion, estoppel, or otherwise.

 [2]: http://www.odata.org/faq

--
Pranesh Prakash
Programme Manager