[open-government] Open Government Licence launched today

Tim McNamara paperless at timmcnamara.co.nz
Thu Sep 30 11:33:36 UTC 2010

2010/9/30 Pearce, Matthew <Matthew.Pearce at nationalarchives.gsi.gov.uk>

>  Hello all
>

> We’re pleased to announce the launch of the Open Government Licence today.
> The OGL provides rights to distribute, adapt and exploit licensed data.  The
> OGL will be the default licence for central government Crown copyright &
> database rights.  It is also being promoted for use within the wider public
> sector.  The OGL is compatible with the Creative Commons and Open Data
> Commons attribution licence models, and we appreciate the advice and
> assistance Creative Commons UK and Open Data Commons have given to the
> project.  The UK Government Licensing Framework sets the policy around where
> the OGL will apply.

This is great news. My only concern is with licence proliferation. My
understanding is that New Zealand's Cabinet adopted the CC-BY (New Zealand)
licence as its default licence for its Crown copyright material this year
[1]. May I ask, why the UK government has needed to craft a new licence?
Those reasons will be quite beneficial for me as I learn more about this
area.

Kind regards,

Tim McNamara
Masters Candidate in Public Policy,