[open-government] The Death of Open Data?

Ton Zijlstra ton.zijlstra at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 09:55:57 UTC 2011

Also see David Eave's commentary on this:
http://eaves.ca/2011/04/14/future-of-democracy/

In general I've been pushing re-use by gov itself and open data as
instrument for more internal efficiency and effectivity (using open data as
a way to execute own tasks and reach own goals) for a year now. It seems a
hard concept to grasp for a lot of gov bodies. Usually they're doing it 'for
someone else' and even a lot of the transparency activists push the concept
for some 'other', not for themselves.

In my home town (Enschede, Netherlands) I specifically linked opening data
to achieving the planned budget cuts in conversations and presentations to
city officials. It seems some awareness is now growing around that.

But telling a carpenter there's a new tool and it doesn't resemble a
traditional hammer is not always an easy message to convey.

best,

Ton

Interdependent Thoughts
Ton Zijlstra