[open-government] [CityCamp Exchange] legal barrier to open government

Robert Goodspeed rgoodspe at mit.edu
Sat Apr 16 18:52:05 UTC 2011

Brian,

I did a research paper related to these issues you may be interested in. The
paper argues for taking advantage of new technology to move from a
"request-response" FOIA mode of transparency to a proactive disclosure, open
government, paradigm.

Under the Massachusetts public records act, computer files are considered
public. So I filed a request for GIS data from our 351 municipalities and
wrote about some of the ensuing legal and technical issues. Basically, only
two towns refused to give me the files, but the biggest legal issue I
identified was overly restrictive public data licenses that may prohibit
innovative re-uses in apps and for analysis. I also discussed some of the
technical issues about how to make data available, and the fact that
municipal fragmentation mean the towns have limited capacity.

The paper is under review by the URISA Journal, here is the draft version:
http://www.urisa.org/files/URISA-Final-RGoodspeed_0.pdf

Rob

--
Robert Goodspeed
PhD Student
rgoodspe at mit.edu
+1 202-321-2743

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Brian Gryth <briangryth at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> members of the council cannot discuss the matter without providing notice of
> the discussion.  So the end result is a potentially open discussion between
> the public and members of the city council are foreclosed because of the
> state's open meeting law.  (Make sense?)
>
> As for contracting issues, I am fortunate to be presenting on the same day
> as another attorney is presenting on cloud computing contracting issues.  So
> he will hopefully cover most of the computing issues.  My focus is on open
> government efforts in general and to provide pointer to the things
> government attorney need to keep in mind when advising government leaders on
> how to proceed with a open government effort.  (If interested the program
> promotional material are at
> http://www.cobar.org/cle/photos/ProgramPages/CGAIT.htm.  Once the program
> has been recorded the session will be available for purchase individually
> from CLE in Colorado).
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
>

> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 6:14 PM, Stephen LaPorte <
> stephen.laporte at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Brian,
>>
>> Not barriers per se, but attorneys will have questions about the exact
>> scope of open government laws. For example, a public employee's Facebook or
>> Twitter message can violate Texas' Open Meetings Act. See Alan J. Bojorquez
>> & Damien Shores, Open Government and the Net: Bringing Social Media into the
>> Light, 11 Tex. Tech Admin. L.J. 45, 61 (2009). The Attorney General of
>> Florida posts a yearly manual for the Florida Sunshine Law, which
>> illustrates some of these questions: What activity is within the scope of
>> the law? Who must comply? What are the procedural requirements? <
>> http://www.myflsunshine.com/sun.nsf/sunmanual>
>>
>> Complying with open governance laws may have some influence on contracts
>> with IT vendors. One attorney suggests four general questions for a vendor:
>> Where is my data? How do I access my data? How secure is my data? How
>> portable is my data? <
>> http://www.govtech.com/pcio/Cloud-Computing-Four-Questions-to-Ask.html>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Stephen
>>
>> On Apr 15, 2011, at 3:07 PM, Alissa Black wrote:
>>
>> Brian -
>>
>> Definitely check out civiccommons.org for information
>> on existing policies/directives/initiatives.
>>
>> I would say legal barriers should be minimal for transparency (if you use
>> non-sensitive data), and non existent for the others. If legal comes into
>> play for "open" gov it will most likely because because of discomfort. In
>> that case you can point to local open gov efforts in SF, Vancouver, and
>> maybe others you find on civic commons.
>>
>> Alissa
>>
>> On Fri, Apr 15, 2011 at 11:36 AM, Brian Gryth <briangryth at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Good day all,
>>>
>>> I am preparing for a talk on open government that I will give in a couple
>>> weeks.  The audience is government attorneys and IT managers.  So I