[open-government] licensing and pricing Geo Data

Baden Appleyard baden.appleyard at publicworks.qld.gov.au
Thu Apr 28 02:06:22 UTC 2011

Hi Daniel, Kathleen, All,

I am the National Programme Director for GILF, which Kathleen referred to
earlier.  Thank you Kathleen.  For what its worth, GILF is soon to be
relaunched as the Australian Governments Open Access and Licensing Framework
(AusGOAL), which will be taking a greater emphasis on 'open' and introducing
some further licences, new website, and other improvements.

But turning to your question Daniel, Im aware of one report by ACIL Tasman
in 2008.  It looked at the value of geo-spatial to the Australian economy.
 It found, among other things that the if GILF were applied to public sector
geospatial information in Australia, it would contribute to an increase in
GDP and tax revenues.

The executive summary of the report can be found here:
http://www.crcsi.com.au/uploads/publications/PUBLICATION_323.pdf.  Pages 16
and 17 in particular, but a read of the whole summary is worthwhile to place
it in context.

Incidently, a similar report was conducted for the NZ Government, and found
similar results.  However, I think Jonathan refers to that above elsewhere
in this thread.

There is another report that was recently released through ANZLIC
(Australian and New Zealand Land Information Council), created by Price
Waterhouse.  However the brief given to PW was different to the brief given
to ACIL in the first report.  And for a variety of other reasons, they come
up with a slightly different analysis and perspective.  It can be found
here: http://www.anzlic.org.au/read/2744.html

Im also aware of other economic reports being produced by governments around
Australia, however they are not directly on geo-spatial, and have varying
degrees of external availability.

Happy to discuss further if you have any other questions.

Cheers

Baden
_____________

Baden Appleyard
National Programme Director
Australian Governments Open Access and Licensing Framework
Telephone: +61 7 3405 0377
Mobile: +61 (0)459 824 061
Linkedin: http://au.linkedin.com/in/badenappleyard
Website: http://www.ausgoal.gov.au
Office of the Queensland Government Chief Information Officer
Level 18
Mineral House
41 George Street
BRISBANE, QLD, 4000