[open-government] New Zealand Government releases Declaration on Open and Transparent Government, and new Data and Information Management Principles

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 16:49:29 UTC 2011

I also thought the phrasing around high-value data was interesting - but
more from noting that whereas a number of other open data declarations and
policies have put the 'Transparency' or 'Democracy' arguments for open data
first, keeping the 'Economic' arguments in second place, the NZ statement
appears to be placing the economic argument for open data as the most
important, with arguments around citizen's right to public data on basis of
principle, or around the importance of public data for democratic engagement
playing a secondary role.

Whilst there's a threat of a back-track over opening high-value data in the
UK with the Public Data Corporation moves, the recent Making Open Data
Real[1] consultation also places a lot of emphasis on economic arguments and
impacts of open data.

What I wonder should advocates of a democratic case for open data be reading
into this apparent shift of emphasis in recent open data discussions...

Tim

[1]
http://www.cabinetoffice.gov.uk/resource-library/making-open-data-real-public-consultation

http://www.timdavies.org.uk