[open-government] New Zealand Government releases Declaration on Open and Transparent Government, and new Data and Information Management Principles

Fabrizio Scrollini fabrizio.scrollini at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 10:14:46 UTC 2011

Hi Julian  and the list,

I think all your contributions are very interesting and I would like to
stress what seems to be a trend in most policies in NZ recently (at least
after MMP) on working collaboratively and in consultation with the
community, which is not seen everywhere.  As a way of introduction, I am a
PhD student doing research on transparency and accountability and one of my
case studies is NZ. I lived over there, did my Masters at VUW,  and I was
fairly impressed with how the country works in terms of transparency and
participation.  I also was engaged in a couple of international cooperation
programmes with NZ and Uruguay.

I was wondering if the fact that New Zealand has around 30 years of
experience with OIA and related policies, made the adoption of these
policies easier, or better understood by  stakeholders than in other places.
Also I was wondering if there was any involvement from the Ombudsman Office,
or if it was mainly driven from the Executive.

Best wishes,

Fabrizio Scrollini

Fabrizio Scrollini