[open-government] Open Data API?

Rufus Pollock rufus.pollock at okfn.org
Thu Aug 18 11:53:24 UTC 2011

On 18 August 2011 12:45, Neil McEvoy <neil at mcevoy.biz> wrote:

>> Now exactly sure what you mean by this question. Data coming from an
>> API isn't different from data coming from, say, a static file (the
>> only difference might be in the amount of data ...)
>>
>> Rufus
>
> I assumed the same, but I know nothing about Open Data licences so I just
> wanted to be sure.

The default answer I think is: APIs are no different. You can use a
standard data license such as one from http://opendatacommons.org/ for
API data as well as static data.

> I guess the critical factor is the fact an API is intended for write as
> well as read. Independent developers being able to write data back to the
> systems seems like a whole new ball game?

I think it depends. Many APIs are read-only, and people can submit
data "patches" to non-API data just as they can write over an API
though the process is probably a bit more cumbersome at the moment.
Obviously if you have people contributing over the API you should make
sure your sign-up terms for an API key include a statement that they
either assign (data) rights to the project collecting the data or that
they agree to license under the relevant license you have chosen.

Rufus

--
Co-Founder, Open Knowledge Foundation