[open-government] Open Data Tooling - should the OKF/others promote a set of tools for open data?

Jose M. Alonso josema at webfoundation.org
Mon Aug 22 07:55:28 UTC 2011

Something I've been saying since long time ago is that:
a) an Open Data initiative is not a portal (although the portal might/should be part of it)
b) technology only represents a small percentage of an Open Data initiative

TimD, you're making very valid points along those lines here and I fully agree with them.

In our case, the focus of the Web Foundation on Open Data is on building local sustainable Open Data eco-systems. I believe this is the only way an Open Data initiative will last. I expect we'll be able to identify patterns within and across dimensions (political, legal, organizational,technical, economic, social), document them, make them openly available and help to transfer them to those willing to start.

On a more technical note, building on what TimD said, there would be (are already!) various valid approaches. I remember there was a useful resource at [4] compiling tools for scraping, transforming, visualizing data, than seems to be down :(

Providing something like an "Open Data Stack" would be certainly useful for many, but that stack should have not only (but also) technology components.

Josema.

[4] http://datapatterns.org/

--

Jose M. Alonso