[open-government] Opendata: Digital-Era Governance Thoroughbred or New Public Management Trojan Horse?

Javier Ruiz javier at openrightsgroup.org
Fri Aug 26 18:20:58 UTC 2011

Hi Chris and David

I agree that presenting the issue as a dichotomy of clear cut policy
philosophies may present a conflict that is not expressed as such, although
from a quick skimming of Emer Coleman's dissertation she also appears to put
it in similar oppositional terms.

However, I don't agree the article says we should we wary of open data, it
says we should be wary of the different agendas behind the drive for open
data. Emer also highlights the danger of NPM sneaking back to derail more
transformative open governance models.

In many ways this article was completely prescient of UK policy:

"From this perspective, support for more open data aims at building
coalitions of citizen consumers who are encouraged to use open data to
expose public service decisions, highlight perceived performance issues,
increase competition within the public sector, and strengthen the hand of
the citizen as customer."
could be written as introduction to the current Cabinet Office Open Data
consultation::

"4.4 The proposals in this consultation are designed to support the agenda
outlined in the recently published Open Public Services White Paper. More
accessible, higher quality data can support better quality services that are
more responsive to individual and community needs, giving more freedom and
professional discretion to those who deliver them, and providing better
value for taxpayers" money. Open Data is central to putting power in the
hands of individuals and local communities to enable people to choose what
sort of service they want and find the best provider to meet their needs."

I agree this could mean many good things in practice, and I believe there is
still an opportunity for shaping the policy because it depends on so much
external input from hackers and civil society, but we ignore the fault lines
at our peril.

We should not underestimate the lack of awareness of open data outside
certain policy and tech networks, and how problematic some framings could
be, particularly if coupled with a privacy scandal.

We are doing a workshop in around a month's time in London to discuss the UK
consultation, and this particular debate was already planned as one of the
sessions. Maybe it should also take place at the camp in Poland, or is it
still too UK specific?

Javier