[open-government] congrats

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 12:57:53 UTC 2011

> Message: 2
> Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2011 11:03:27 +0000
> From: Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray at okfn.org>
> Subject: Re: [euopendata] Congrats!
> To: Ton Zijlstra <ton.zijlstra at gmail.com>
> Cc: EU Open Data Working Group <euopendata at lists.okfn.org>

> We're just writing up the announcement now. Does anyone have a full
> transcript and/or any pictures from the conference?
>
> J.

Does anyone else think the definition of open data on the announcement is
somewhat off the mark:

"Open Data is general information that can be freely used, re-used and
redistributed by anyone - either free or at marginal cost." -
http://europa.eu/rapid/pressReleasesAction.do?reference=IP/11/1524&format=HTML&aged=0&language=EN&guiLanguage=en

Not sure how that 'freely used, re-used and redistributed' squares with
the 'at marginal cost' part. I'm guessing they mean you can buy it at
marginal cost, but then have the right to re-use and redistribute without
any incumbent licence. However, it's not clear (possibly intentionally),
and seems likely to cause confusion.

Jonathan: can you clarify?

Chris

OpenCorporates :: The Open Database of the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture