[open-government] Feb. 14 Presentation to Standing Committee on Information Access, Privacy and Ethics

Tracey P. Lauriault tlauriau at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 18:38:26 UTC 2011

All;

I think we had a productive session with the Committee.  I came to the
realization that this is a form of public education, the Politicians at the
Committees are not experts on the issues they are tasked with studying and
need the ideas translated into simple and tangible language.  I really
learned that we need to ground what we say in real world examples they can
conceptualize and ideas they can then reuse.  I would be interested to hear
from anyone who takes the time to listen to the session, to get pointers and
also to hear if my assessment of the level of understanding is correct.

The session live stream is available here:
http://www2.parl.gc.ca/CommitteeBusiness/CommitteeMeetings.aspx?Cmte=ETHI&Stac=3081704&Language=E&Mode=1&Parl=40&Ses=3

Committee Information can be found here: www.parl.gc.ca/ethi-e /
www.parl.gc.ca/ethi-f

David H. Mason and I appear in the second session at 4:30 PM.

   - Here is a link to my submission:
   http://datalibre.ca/2011/02/13/submission-to-standing-committee-on-access-to-information-privacy-and-ethics-study-on-open-government/
   - David H. Mason - Crowd Sourced Visible Government Submission: David H.
   Mason's Submission:
   http://visiblegovernment.ca/w/Ethics_Standing_Committee
   http://visiblegovernment.ca/w/Ethics_Standing_Committee
   - Here is a link to the Valentine's Day card we gave them -
   http://datalibre.ca/2011/02/13/happy-data-valentines-day-canada/ (Thanks
   Seb at ffunction for creating these - http://ffctn.com/).  Their
   delightful annalists gave us chocolate kisses!

Cheers
Tracey
--
Tracey P. Lauriault