[open-government] Ten Open Data Guidelines launched in Tbilisi

Lisa Tansey awarelisa at gmail.com
Tue Feb 1 20:52:12 UTC 2011

Hello,

   Those are a great set of guidelines.

   Some folks (most particularly Kevin S. McArthur and Herb
Lainchbury) out here in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, also
worked on a way to score government data.  We chose to focus on
"usability" more than "openness".  Kevin, who is a developer,
particularly swayed us this way - the idea being to encourage
governments and their agencies to share data in a usable way sooner
rather than waiting until all the conditions for full openness are
met.  Give agencies credit for doing what they can, and also lowering
their score when the data is "open" but not actually "usable".

   Kevin & Herb also came up with an algorithm for weighting the
components to come up with an overall score.  We all worked on going
through & scoring the datasets we had.

   The work we did on defining usability is in a google spreadsheet
and still in a draft format.  Herb - maybe share this out publicly?

-Lisa