[open-government] Call for comments on report on open government data in India

Tim Davies tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk
Thu Jan 27 08:37:06 UTC 2011

Hey all,

I've just been pointed to the following report, which I don't think had been
flagged up on this list.

http://www.cis-india.org/advocacy/openness/blog/open-government-data-report

Open for comments until the 30th Jan, but equally valuable for some key
insights.

>From the recommendations:

"The meaning of ‘open government data’ and the purposes they serve will have
to be re­examined from an
Indian perspective.   The reasons that work well in the United States and
the United Kingdom may not work
well in India.  We also have to be very careful about how we imagine the end
users of open government data.
Do we visualize open data as being for the benefit of individual middle
class citizens by helping them consum­
ing the (processed) data themselves (with bus routes, for instance), or do
we visualize them as being for the
benefit of the poor, and thus target target NGOs?  Do we visualize them as
being hackers or as laypersons?"

All the best

Tim

--