[open-government] National legal barriers to open data in Europe

Chris Taggart countculture at gmail.com
Wed Jan 5 11:09:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 5, 2011 at 9:43 AM, Antti.Eskola at tem.fi <Antti.Eskola at tem.fi>wrote:

> This solves the problem only if the retriever and the first user is the
> same and remains the end user. Why can't the license text mention that the
> data can be used only for legal purposes? Strange if it is doesn't mention
> it yet.
>
> Cris's point may be that e.g. spam laws should target spammers themselves,
> not those who release public sector data in good faith, but that data is
> subsequently misused by spammers. Right?
>
> Antti Eskola

 Yes, that's right. In fact I don't think it's necessary for the licence to
say it should only be used for legal purposes -- it's redundant, a bit like
having a sign on a shop which say 'You may only enter here if you promise
not to steal from us'

Chris
OpenCorporates :: The Open Database for the Corporate World
http://opencorporates.com
OpenlyLocal :: Making Local Government More Transparent
http://openlylocal.com
Blog: http://countculture.wordpress.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CountCulture