[open-government] Public Data Catalog Priorities and Demand

Daniel Dietrich daniel.dietrich at okfn.org
Mon Jan 10 09:59:10 UTC 2011

Hi Antti,

I am happy you brought this question up again. Indeed I think this working group could start mapping apps just as with the catalogues and competitions.

Regarding the demand question, I guess this is one that can not been answered without the specific context of factors like country, already availlable data, re-user audiences, etc.

As interesting exampleI would like to mention Berlin, Germany where the City of Berlin has asked its citizens in a poll[1] about the themes they should release PSI as open data for first. People are asked to choose 3 themes out of a list of 20 diverse themes.

The preliminary results [2]

"The first 12 days of the survey (Sept 23rd - Oct 5th) saw almost 1100 participants. Top themes were city planning, administration, environment, controlling, infrastructure, and population. Ninety four percent of those asked said they would regularly look at the data if available, and 61% said they would re-use the data. That last number indicates primarily those already interested in re-using data have been answering the poll."

Although the poll was not representative and its believed that most participants in the poll have a affirmation with open data I think this is an interesting approach. Even if from an open data advocacy perspective the answare to the question witch data to publish can anyhow only be to 'release all of it' ;)

Best regards
Daniel

1. http://www.epsiplatform.eu/news/news/berlin_city_asks_which_data_you_want
2. http://www.epsiplatform.eu/news/news/first_results_berlin_survey_on_open_data