[open-government] [ckan-discuss] Release of DataCatalogs.org to map open data around the world

Jonathan Gray jonathan.gray at okfn.org
Sat Jul 2 06:09:29 UTC 2011

Thanks for your email Philip!

On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 7:16 PM, Philip Ashlock <phil at openplans.org> wrote:
> I'm really excited about datacatalogs.org and glad to see it looking so
> polished.

Great! :-)

> I've been trying to maintain a list of data catalog aggregators (sites like
> datacatalogs.org) which could perhaps be used to build a checklist of the
> people we can get in touch with to help consolidate at datacatalogs.org or
> to set up a scrapper or a notification mechanism to see when they are
> updated.
>
> http://wiki.civiccommons.org/Initiatives#Open_Government_Data_Catalog_Aggregators

Brilliant. As a point of detail, this is not a metadata aggregator per
se (like publicdata.eu or opendatasearch.org) but more of a source
list for such aggregators.

> One valid argument that I think many will present against exclusively
> consolidating at datacatalogs.org is the limited means by which listings are
> organized and displayed at datacatalogs.org. The lack of a map was
> mentioned, but I don't think that is nearly as important as providing a
> simple way of grouping and therefore browsing using an intuitive and
> consistent hierarchy or taxonomy rather than solely relying on search and
> adhoc tagging.

This is all coming! We have spoken to many different users about
having lists of data catalogues for different purposes. E.g. an
official list of official data catalogues in country X, moderated
groups for data catalogues that implement standard Y, etc. The map is
in the pipeline. This is totally alpha as we wanted to do a bit of
'release early, release often' to coincide with OKCon.

Just started a wiki page for requested features - please add/flesh out
ideas here: http://wiki.okfn.org/DataCatalogsOrg

> Perhaps this can be done by trying to better enforce a consistent identifier
> for Spatial Coverage, either by using a predefined directory or API which
> provides such things or attempting to automatically geocode the input using
> free APIs, even perhaps hosting a GeoDict install:
> http://www.datasciencetoolkit.org/developerdocs#geodict

Perhaps someone from the CKAN team who has been working on the new
geospatial stuff can jump in here and explain the plan a bit?

J.