[open-government] We need international open government data principles

Baden Appleyard b.appleyard at ausgoal.gov.au
Fri Jul 8 10:45:01 UTC 2011

Hi Jonathan,

AusGOAL prefers not to use the term 'default', although it is aligned with
the Australian Government default position.  The principles actually state
that you must use the least restrictive licence appropriate to the
circumstances.  Now, we mean use CC-BY, but it wont be CC-BY in some
admittedly rare cases.. eg.  contracts/licences already entered into by a
government department may prevent the application of cc-by across some data,
perhaps policy.. eg.  safety standards, where mashing up a safety standard
wouldn't be in the public interest.

The requirement is expressed in the Policy here:
http://www.ausgoal.gov.au/ausgoal-principles

Cheers

________________
*Baden M Appleyard*
National Programme Director
Australian Governments Open Access and Licensing Framework (AusGOAL)
Level 18, Mineral House
41 George Street
BRISBANE, QLD, 4001
Map<http://maps.google.com/?ll=-27.473789,153.02631&spn=0.000623,0.002642&z=19&layer=c&cbll=-27.473789,153.02631&panoid=DmWuLTTsIC9kWeMpDa9F1g&cbp=11,55.73,,0,-8.41>