[open-government] Examples for open data projects - sorry for cross-posting

Jose M. Alonso josema at webfoundation.org
Fri Jul 15 08:33:52 UTC 2011

Hi Claudia,

This is a very good idea. I'm not sure if OGD people are fully aware of this, but outside the OGD circles, people have no idea of what Open Data is, how it can be beneficial, etc.

Some of the examples we may believe everybody knows, are not yet known, and some of them are VERY useful to make the Open Data case. And I'm speaking from practical experience.

One of my pending actions at the Web Foundation is to curate a list of Open Data apps and resources to make people understand the power of of Open Data. My intention is to build a simple template with just a handful of metadata following a simple taxonomy by topic area, e.g. health, transport, education, etc.
I also expect to compile some of the studies that show the economic benefits.

Evidence to show the potential of Open Data is much needed, and we're lucky we have an increasing number of examples and reports we can use for that (it was impossible to do just two years ago) but we need to do this in a way that is understandable to people outside OGD circles (which is not always easy).

I'll be using the Web Foundation Wiki [1] but I'm yet to find my way learning a bit more about semantic media wiki and templating. The wiki is open, so if someone with knowledge wants to start or just help, just create an account there and ping me so I'm aware.

Cheers,
Jose.

[1] http://wiki.webfoundation.org

--